We are hiring trainee and PCV licence holders to drive buses in Bournemouth.
Have a PCV licence already?
If you already have a PCV licence then give our team a call. Becky and Jay from our operations team are keen to speak to you. You can call them on 01202 636014 or submit an online application form. Alternatively, please download an application form by clicking here.
Becky and Jay will be able to answer any questions you have and work out if we are right for each other. We have full-time vacancies but would also consider part-time arrangements. Once you are in, we will give your route training and ticket machine training. You will need to get to know the ways in which we work! You will not be able to miss us though our buses are bright yellow!
Interested in becoming a trainee bus driver?
If you do not have a licence, we still want you on board as a trainee bus driver. The interview process will include a face to face interview with a manager, some highway code tests and a driving assessment.
Once you have passed all these and have been accepted into the training school, we will train you to drive a bus to test standard and will put you through your test. Once you are ready to drive in service we will provide you with route training and teach you how to use our ticket machines. We will place you with a mentor or buddy, and they will help to guide you through any puzzles or questions you may have. We aim to prepare you as best as we can before we set you loose on the travelling public.
If you are happy being out and about, like driving in a congested environment and happy to meet people then you will be amazing at this job. If you want to have a chat with someone that knows how to do it, give Jay or Becky a call in the operations team and they will introduce you to driving buses!
To become a trainee you will need a car driving licence, ideally with no more than 3 points and great customer service skills. Although you will be driving a bus, you will also be interacting with the general public and selling our products. For doing all this we offer a great range of benefits.
- Permanent position
- Paid training
- £11.73 per hour basic rate after training - for PCV licence holders from day one
- Free travel on Yellow Buses for you and a family member. We also have reciprocal arrangements with other bus companies such as Go Ahead and First Hampshire and Dorset, so you can also use your pass on their routes
- Potential for Membership of a pension scheme after a qualifying period
- Paid bank holidays
- Holiday entitlement of 22 days per annum
- 24 days after 12 months service
- 25 days after 24 months service
- A smart uniform
- Rest and refreshment areas for breaks
- Showers and cycle racks
- Free car parking
- Free bus travel between sites
- Concessionary rates at local gyms
- Reduced rates on health and welfare benefits
- Discounts on cafes and local restaurants for you and your family
- Sports and social club, including clubs and family days out
You should be aware that our buses operate pretty much 24 hours a day and someone has to drive them. You will be doing various shifts in a combination that has been created and negotiated with the Union to offer the best work-life balance we can whilst we keep buses on the road. On some weeks this may mean that you start work really early, and on some weeks it may mean that you work really late up to 0100 on some occasions. You can swap shifts with other drivers and your mentor or buddy can help you do this.